After completing a screening of potential bicycle highways along federal roads and railways in Switzerland, we were able to present ten areas throughout the country that would best meet the prerequisites for additional bicycle highways. The challenges we faced included the need to take account of numerous criteria relevant to new bicycle infrastructure such as demand, accessibility, travel times, nearby conservation areas and buildings.
- Development of an assessment method for all of Switzerland
- Data processing and analysis
- Use of the Swiss macroscopic traffic flow model and GIS analyses
- Creation of maps and factsheets for each of the assessed regions
- Assessment of federal roads and railways to determine their suitability for adjacent bicycle-path infrastructure
- Organization of assessment workshops for the client
Dr. Ralph Straumann