What charging infrastructure would enable the optimal electrification of a regional bus fleet? Working on behalf of the Zurich Public Transportation Company (VBZ), a transport operator within the Zurich Public Transportation Network (ZVV), we analyzed the task of electrifying bus services in the canton of Zurich’s Pfannenstiel region. We developed a concept for complete electrification of the necessary infrastructure over the long-term with a special focus on charging infrastructure in the depot. A crucial aspect of the concept is the inclusion of operational optimizations that would enable more flexible daytime charging.
- Assessment and evaluation of the bus routes serviced by the Zurich, Zollikon, Küsnacht Public Transportation Company (AZZK) to determine their suitability of electric buses
- Establishment of a charging concept, including a rough estimate of the costs
- Development of a concept for the infrastructure that would enable suitable charging systems
- Ascertainment of the connected load
- Clarification of details with local network operators
Picture Credits: AZZK (Autobus Zurich Zollikon Küsnacht)
Dr. Peter de Haan