The Swiss city of Olten commissioned EBP to help it draft a climate strategy and corresponding measures that would enable the city to achieve the goal of net-zero emissions by 2040.
One particular challenge that we faced was to bring the ambitious goal into alignment with the available municipal resources. Working together with city officials, we developed a set of measures that focus on the factors with the greatest impact and that take account of replacement cycles in the areas of heating systems and vehicles.
- Drafting of a carbon footprint to account specifically for heating-system and vehicle-fleet emissions
- Drafting of a qualitative estimate of indirect carbon emissions associated with financial investments, employees, buildings, and vehicles
- Drafting of strategic options for the climate goals of net-zero by 2030 and net-zero by 2050
- Definition of the goal: net-zero emissions by 2040
- Drafting of a strategy and specific measures for achieving the net-zero goal by 2040