The canton of Solothurn completed a comprehensive update of its WebGIS Client geodata platform. While the aim of the update was to offer the website’s users a more modern and flexible access to geodata, many professionals simply stopped using the website because it was too complicated. We applied user-centered design to develop a user-interface and user-experience (UI/UX) concept along with a design prototype. Having conducted extensive testing with professional users, we were then able to demonstrate that our optimized layout was far more intuitive and enabled the users to access the desired geodata far more quickly and conveniently.
The canton is now taking a step-by-step approach to implementing the concept so that professionals and individuals with little or no GIS experience can conveniently use the tool to access the information they need.
- Drafting of an interview-based target group analysis
- Organization of a workshop according to the design-thinking methodology
- Development of a UI/UX concept
- Creation of a design prototype
- Completion of user tests
- Compilation of concept recommendations for the client