The main aims of this pilot project in Pasto were to reduce trans-portation-related carbon emissions, to provide an affordable means of transportation for the local population, and to gain more experience with the use of solar-powered e-bike systems for public transportation in Latin America. A total of eight bike parking locations were selected and outfitted with solar-powered charging stations, thereby enabling the use of a source of renewable energy to charge the e-bikes.
The scope of our assignment within the project included handling all matters relating to technology, organization, security, business modeling, education and training, monitoring, and communication.
- Conceptualizing and assessing the feasibility of the e-bike system
- Drafting a call to tender and selecting the suppliers for the e-bikes, charging stations, and photovoltaic systems
- Controlling system quality and overseeing system installations and commissioning
- Raising an awareness of the value of an e-bike system and encouraging local stakeholders to use the system
- Monitoring and documenting the project’s execution so as to be in a position to replicate it in other cities in Colombia