Public policies, strategies, programs and projects are coming under increasing scrutiny. Regular evaluation can help to ensure that resources are used appropriately and effectively. We evaluate the success and effectiveness of such activities both at home and abroad, whilst identifying possible areas for improvement and providing a sound basis for decision-making.
When evaluating its projects or activities, an organization wants to look at the impact of these. It wants to assess whether a specific strategy or action plan has achieved the set goals, whether resources were used efficiently, and whether the strategy or project goal even reflected the current needs or addressed current challenges. Both the public sector and non-government actors are increasingly facing questions about the legitimacy and impact of their activities.
EBP has many experts who specialize in different disciplines – each of whom adds value through their evaluation experience in addition to understanding the subject matter. The various disciplines include environment, transportation, urban and regional planning, health, safety and security, energy, resources, climate and international development and economic cooperation. EBP contributes to the ongoing development of the evaluation methodology. They place a particular emphasis on the evaluation of environmental impacts.
We offer the following types of evaluations:
- Concept, implementation and impact evaluations
- Summative and formative evaluations
- Ex-post and ex-ante evaluations and regulatory impact assessments
Our work also includes devising evaluation concepts. This involves formulating evaluation questions and defining impact models or evaluation designs as well as developing indicator systems.
Thanks to our interdisciplinary project teams, we can apply different quantitative and qualitative scientific methods to answer the evaluation questions and ensure that the methods of all disciplines are combined in a meaningful way. This generally requires us to combine our expertise in the natural sciences with competence in the social sciences within our core disciplines.
For work on international evaluation projects, we have a broad network of proven evaluation experts and technical experts with evaluation experience at our disposal.
A number of EBP employees are members of the Swiss Evaluation Society (SEVAL) and the DeGEval Gesellschaft für Evaluation e.V.
Other evaluation projects (not listed below)
- External evaluation of climate-friendly communal catering under the scope of the project MehrWertKonsum (AddedValueConsumption) being carried out by the Verbraucherzentrale NRW e.V. (Consumer Protection Agency of the state of North-Rhine Westphalia) (2019)
- Creation of an evaluation toolkit for the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) (2019)
- Analysis of economic measures for the Swiss Energy Strategy 2050. Second phase of the in-depth regulatory impact assessment of measures related to the cost-covering fee for electricity feed-in to the grid, electricity efficiency targets, competitive tenders and large-scale consumers (2013, jointly with Ecoplan)
- Ex-ante evaluation on correlations between clean air policy and Swiss energy/climate change mitigation policy (2010)