Strava is a sports-tracking app and platform that enables its users to record and document their running and cycling activities. Working on behalf of the Canton of Zurich Department of Transportation, EBP designed a study to determine whether crowdsourcing data from the Strava app represent a reliable source of information that could be used when addressing issues relating to bike traffic. The scope of the study included an analysis of the following factors: recreational/day-to-day and commuter traffic; route selection in relation to bike-path planning; existing bikeway infrastructure; and the specific group of Strava users.
- Data analyses based on the client’s principle questions
- Correlation analyses involving data drawn from cantonal bike-traffic meters
- Comparison of bike-traffic activity indicated by Strava and data pertaining to bike-related infrastructure, bike-network planning (including network gaps), and the cantonal road network
- Development of analytics tools in Python, R, SQL (PostgreSQL / PostGIS), FME
- Assessments of data quality and volume
- Analysis of the risks and opportunities associated with the public-sector use of Strava data
Dr. Ralph Straumann